Join the Great Easter Newt Hunt
Help us conserve
The Great Easter Newt Hunt is back for 2013!
The 2013 Newt Hunt takes place between 29th March – 30th April!
See what newts we
found in previous years: 2011/12 results page
Help us find out how important your garden pond is for newts! We’ll use
the information to create a garden newt map and provide advice on newt
conservation in gardens.
Did you know?
- Little is known about our most widespread newt species?
- They are the least protected of our amphibians!
- We need more information about them to plan for their conservation!
How to take part!
1. Get ready for your survey! See our NEWT ID TIPS
DOWNLOAD A NEWT
HUNT SURVEY FORM
for you to jot down your results.
2. Hunt for newts! Count the numbers of smooth and/or palmate newts in
your garden pond over Easter (from 29th March to 30th April). Spend 10
minutes during the day and another 10 minutes after dark counting the
newts in your pond and spotting other creatures. For your evening visit
you will need a good torch to see the newts! Take an adult with you if
you are under 18 and always take care by water. Jot your findings down
on the newt hunt survey form.
Keep safe by water, visit this website for more information:
3. Record your newt hunting on our ONLINE FORM
. You’ll be able to tell
us about yourself, your pond and where it is too – and you’ll be able to
link to other sites with information on other great pond creatures!
Do you have a friend who would like take part?
Go to our "Tell a friend
" page to
let him or her know
Follow The Great Easter Newt Hunt on ........